Sunday, January 11, 2015

My adventures in the big city.


So I haven't been very good at this whole blog thing...it's been quite awhile since I last posted, but I was inspired by my roomie who started blogging about his experience in the city, so I thought I'd give it another go. I've now been living in New York City about three months. And what a whirlwind it has been. Every day is different from the one before and I have had the highest highs and the lowest lows here. I've never felt more lonely and more alive. When I went to Salt Lake for Christmas and people asked me how New York was...I honestly didn't even know what to say. How do you put into words the most exciting/scary/insane experience of your life? Well...I'm still trying to figure that out. 

When I moved here I was living in Brooklyn, and have since moved to Harlem which I absolutely love. It's a beautiful apartment that's brand new! We have a dishwasher, free wifi, and (my favorite part) a WASHER AND DRYER! IN THE UNIT. This was a big deal for us because doing your laundry at the laundromat is the worst. I also have a much shorter commute to midtown. From Brooklyn it would take me from 45-an hour to get there...now it takes about 20. We are close to the A express and it's just two stops to the theatre district. It's amazing how much time I used to spend on the subway...now I barely have time to crack open a book while I commute. It's been life changing, this new place. I finally feel like I am at home. I have a beautiful room that's cozy for me and Kiki. And I have these two babes to live with and soon cute Oyoyo will be joining us (she's currently doing 'The Wiz' in Florida!) 
It's been really wonderful to come home and be able to tell my friends about my day, or the crazy things I witnessed. They are truly a blessing. We are so excited to make our apartment cute and cozy. There has also been talk of starting a band...I'll keep you posted. 

Exciting things are happening in the city. Always. There is always something exciting to do, somewhere new to go and interesting people to meet. I'm currently taking a class from Duncan Stewart which is absolutely giving me life right now. I've only had one class so far but it was absolutely wonderful. I love being in class again. You learn so much from watching other people, and of course it's nice to get feedback on your work as well. This week we have to do our Pop/Rock song so that will be interesting for sure.

I've been able to do a lot of really cool things since I've gotten to the city and can't wait to see what lies ahead. I've seen a lot of shows in three months: Pippin, Kinky Boots, On The Town, Once, Chicago, Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, If/Then, Les Miz and Sideshow. It's soooo cool to live here! I can see a Broadway show whenever I want (and would every day if I had an endless supply of $$$) 

I also had the opportunity to have a coaching session with Lindsay Mendez...now this girl has always had a career I've envied, and been someone I looked up to...but nothing prepared me for how wonderful she would be in person. I want to be Lindsay Mendez when I grow up.


Kiki is starting to really like her new home. She loves Sean and Taylor (which for her is a big deal), gets cozy on my bed and runs around the apartment like she owns the place. I love having my little buddy with me all the time. 

There is a little bit about my life as of late. I will try to write more. And maybe tell you about all the insane things I see on a day to day basis.

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Shelb I just stalked your blog for a half hour haha. You look so happy! I am glad that you are loving new york and all that it has to offer! I'll have to contact you when we come to visit ;) we are planning on coming to NY in the next 2 years… hopefully you will still be there! Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete