Monday, March 10, 2014

Alabanza

I don't blog. Ever. In fact I'd forgotten I had a blog. Since I last blogged a lot has changed. Things have come and gone. First of all this.

IN THE HEIGHTS is over. And while I write this I'm listening to the "Finale" form the show so naturally I want to cry. This show. I can't quite put words to the experience. From the moment I was introduced to this show I wanted to be in it. I never thought I would be because I'm not Latina. But I took a chance and auditioned anyway. And I'm so thankful I did. I started the rehearsal process a little nervous. The only people I knew before we started rehearsals were Ames and Josh, and they were I'm Europe. So for the first time in a very long time, I showed up to rehearsal not knowing a soul. That was weird for me. The people who know me would describe me as loud and a little crazy. But it takes a minute for me to show that. I can be a little shy at first. Especially when I feel like an outsider. The first rehearsal I spoke to Carolyn about carpooling and knew we would be good friends. She was so friendly and genuinely wants to get to know everyone. But for the first little while I would just sit back and learn the music and not really talk to anyone. And then one by one I got to know all of these new and incredible people. It's rare...being in a show that connects you to your cast the way In The Heights connected us. I've been in a lot of shows in my life, doing theatre consistently since I was eight. And this one has been one of the most special. I love these people. I learned so much from these people. These incredibly wonderful people. I miss this show all the time and I'm sure there are a lot of people sick of hearing about how much I love this show. But I do. It truly touched my heart. I miss it. Which I find mind boggling because it was a long process. I thought by the time it was over I would be grateful. Glad to stop driving to Orem everyday day and glad to have my evenings back for the first time since the summer. But on closing night I cried. I was truly sad to put this one to bed. This showed reminded me about hard work. Jenny Barlow pushed me in a way that I needed. Never give less then 100%. Push yourself to be better at every rehearsal and every performance. Tell the story and be engaged every second. I wish I could step back into that show. Just for one night to play with those silly lovely people. This is what I want to do for the rest of my life, and I feel so lucky. Every time we get to step out on that stage and tell that story is a privilege. You won't always get cast in every show you want...but every time you don't get cast there is a reason. Always. Which brings me to my next piece of news.

I auditioned for Les Mis at Hale and really wasn't expecting a whole lot, but thought it would he a great gig. And I was bummed when I didn't get it. I wanted something after In The Heights to look forward to. But I didn't get it. And now I am so so so thankful for that. Everything happens for a reason. That is true. I will be playing Bec in 4000 MILES at Salt Lake Acting Company in April. I am so excited to get back on that stage. I am thrilled to be in this beautiful play and really excited to work with the director and actors. It's going to push me and I can't wait till rehearsals start! I'm so giddy over it! 

So. That's a little insight on my life right now. 

1 comment:

  1. Nailed it, Shelby. Such a special experience. I dream of being able to do that show again with all the same people, and I'm so glad to have met you because of it. Congratulations on the new show!!

    ReplyDelete